Posted by Joel Herzog | January 15 | 2018
Tips for Winter Running
With the cold weather here and plenty of snow to boot, exercising in these conditions can become dangerous if not done properly. However, the weather shouldn’t slow you down, and for this reason we have put together a list of tips for running in winter.
- Make sure you do a proper warm up. Cold muscles are more prone to injury, so warming up your body before your workout will aid in avoiding injury.
- Stay hydrated. There is a common misconception that fluids should be constantly ingested in warmer weather specifically. You must make sure that you are hydrating yourself regardless of season or temperature.
- Cover all exposed skin. Frostbite is real and can happen if you don’t take appropriate measures. Make sure you bundle up as best you can to avoid frostbite.
- Run with caution outside. With the amount of snow that we have received and the icy conditions, it can become dangerous to run outside without being cautious. Avoid a serious injury and keep away from unplowed or non-shovelled roads.
- Always carry your cell phone and extra cash with you in case of emergency. As much as you might want to finish your run, you never know when your body shuts down on you and need to call a cab to get you back home.
- Always tell someone which route you are taking. You never know when something might happen and this way someone knows where you are if anything happens.
- Make sure you take your wet clothes off as soon as you get home and put on warm ones in order to avoid becoming ill.
These are just some of the few tips for winter running in order to avoid getting injured or becoming sick. However, even those most careful can still be injured while exercising. For those times, MedRehab is here to help. From back pain treatment, to foot care products, we can help. Our team of knowledgeable physiotherapists are available to provide you with prime care. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.